Thursday 20 February 2014

Adapting to baby life and a messy pasta

Although life is undoubtedly better with a newborn in the house, everything else in life has had to take a step back. Sleep and food in particular. I'm not complaining though, actually the opposite. I love the feeling of an added purpose, one somewhat more important than my latest run or the sort of beans I'm using in tonight's stew.

But while sleep has been almost non-existing over the last weeks, I've managed the task to eat at least every day (hurrah!), and quite often one in particular quick and easy meal. I wouldn't exactly recommend that you eat this about three times a week like me, but to anyone without time and inspiration on their hands, it's a meal that isn't completely lacking in nutritional value. I decided to let this dish go by the glamorous name: fresh pasta with stuff.























It's basically a choice of fresh pasta (that takes about three minutes to cook), in this case ravioli filled with basil and pesto, but for us it's more often tortellini filled with various cheeses, spinach, herbs or tomato. The rest of the dish is a colorful mix of whatever you've got at home, just make sure that there's at least one source of protein except from cheese. In this case soy pieces and green peas. Other stuff in this picture; halloumi, onion and red pepper. Throw it all in a pan with olive oil, add some black pepper, salt and herbs and it's done in less than ten minutes. Simple and quick, and therefore baby-friendly.



For Christmas I got two cookbooks, which I haven't really been able to skim through yet but I hope they will inspire me to cook more proper food. Like tonight, when I'm a little sick of messy pasta and gonna attempt to make quiche with peppers, feta cheese and olives instead. I must be crazy, but I've already planned every single step and know where I can take breaks in the process to fulfil certain baby needs. Yeah, it's all new and exciting - it really is - and sometimes doomed to fail. Fingers crossed this will work.


No comments:

Post a Comment