Wednesday 30 October 2013

A spontaneous one at Joshua Brooks

You know those evenings when you have something in mind and it turns out completely different but it ends up being much nicer than anything you had expected? In any case, let me tell you about it.

It wasn't a particularly nice day, I was tired and didn't feel like doing much at all. The afternoon turned to early evening and Jon asked if I wanted to go and watch the football. I hesitated for a while but decided that it could actually be good to get some fresh air and leave the flat for a couple of hours. When you're six months pregnant, that's quite an adventure in itself.

We set off for Lass O'Gowrie, where we had also decided to get something to eat. According to their website they served food until 8 pm but as we arrived it turned out they didn't. I was starving and when I'm hungry I need to eat straight away, otherwise things can turn a little uncomfortable.

Our first thought was to go to Spar for a sandwich and then head back to the pub, but instead we settled for something much nicer and went to what-was-for-me an entirely new pub, Joshua Brooks. Although it's right beside Lass, I had never been there before. I'm happy my record changed this evening.

So with the expectation of nothing than boring pub food; a frozen pie that's put in the microwave for a few minutes, we ordered a pie each as nothing else was available. However, they were much beyond our expectations, surprisingly tasty and with smooth buttery mashed potato and lovely mushy peas with mint and a hint of lemon as sides, it turned out to be a really nice meal.

Goosnargh Chicken, Stornaway Black Pudding, Apple and Mustard Pie (£4.50) with Creamy Mashed Potato (£0.75)

Leek and Potato Pea Cream with White Truffle Oil Pie (£4.50) with Mushy Peas with Mint (£0.75)
I had water all evening but Jon had a couple from the Slightly Foxed range that was on tap (£2.30). Aside from this, the bottled beer selection looked impressive and I can assure you that I'll be back once I can enjoy beer again.

Papers, beer and pistachio nuts


The atmosphere wasn't that of a typical football pub, but then it wasn't a big football night, so I guess my judgement is halting a little. I got the impression that the audience was a good mix of both ages and genders, the service was friendly and the overall atmosphere unpretentious, nice and relaxed. One couldn't really ask for much more on a Tuesday night.

Vegetarian selection: 6/10
Vegetarian food: 7/10
Non-vegetarian selection: 4/10
Non-vegetarian food: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Value for money: 8/10
39/60


  Joshua Brooks on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment