Friday 29 November 2013

Tons of food and a bigger bump

November somehow disappeared from the Earth, mainly because of sleepiness. Half sleeping for consecutive days makes life just fly by. However, my brain still seems busy as I have the craziest and at times scariest dreams ever - a common side effect of the hormones that are currently occupying my body.

Between sleeping I've not only tried my best to cook and eat, but also document some of my culinary adventures. Let's have a look.











Breakfast; by miles the best meal of the day. One with wholegrain walnut buns and one that was actually more like a dessert. I'd already had yoghurt as a first meal, peanut butter toast a few hours later and then this. It's just how it goes when you wake up starving three times throughout the night.












I was given a bag of homegrown Jerusalem artichokes and learned some new useful stuff. I grated a couple of them to use in potato cakes and roasted the rest with potatoes and lots of garlic. Interestingly they were really gluey, but tasty. Highly recommended.












And yeah, I made that soup again and served it with homemade bread. I just can't get enough.












One nippy Sunday afternoon I went to a charity shop in the Northern Quarter and finished the journey at my favourite restaurant. Apparently they've got a new menu that I just have to check out. Something to add to my imaginary postnatal to-do-list.












Stir fry is exactly the kind of food that's suitable for a sick and nauseous stomach, therefore I ended up having it more than once during this month. Though on one of my better days I finally managed to make a good whole wheat pizza dough, which has been a rather long and sweaty process. I've experimented and failed on a couple of occasions so the satisfaction level was like: enormous.








I paid my neighbour Teatime Collective a visit and had a gorgeous dark chocolate flapjack. Another day I went to another local cafe and had another sort of dark chocolate. The sort of luxury you can allow yourself when you're on maternity leave and not asleep.

One Friday Jon made a dinner of roasted beetroots, sweet potatoes and halloumi with butter fried asparagus and a beetroot dip. Oh, love. And finally, last Saturday we had tacos. Every single time I have it I wonder why I don't eat it more often. Many years ago back in Sweden, when I used to visit my family over the weekends, it was always served on the Friday of my arrival. A very nice tradition if you'd ask me.












Although it's impractical at times (and bigger than the photos tell) I'm slowly starting to become one with this bump. I've also entered a much more relaxed mental phase of the pregnancy where most of the troubles and worries are blown out the window. Finally I can enjoy it to its full extent and grasp what that wonderful blooming is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment