Thursday 10 October 2013

Wholemeal Bread with Apricots and Dates

Chopped dried apricots and dates.
Who thought I would ever post a bread recipe? I never used to make bread. Then last year I suddenly got in a bread mood. At the same time I started to make lots of soups which I think is part of the explanation. In case you didn't know it, homemade bread and soup were born for each other.

Anyway, I found some recipes and started experimenting. I fell for one in particular, that promised to not take any longer than 40 min, which included 30 min in the oven, while you can do squats or something else.

Make the dough, place it in the oven and take it out - and it is really that simple. So is there only one bread you're ever gonna make in your life, make it this one. You'll thank me afterwards.

Originally the recipe (from the Guardian I think) contained nuts, salt and more honey but I adjusted it and like to use dried apricots and dates instead of nuts, and cut down slightly on the honey. Feel free to give it your own personality though.





Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 25-30 min
1 loaf

4 dl wholemeal flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 dl chopped dried apricots and dates (or more if you prefer)
1 dl yoghurt
1 dl milk
1 tbsp runny honey
1 tbsp rapeseed oil


Heat the oven to 200 C.
Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, apricots and dates in a bowl. Stir.
Mix the rest of the ingredients in a separate bowl. Stir.
Mix it all together and work thoroughly, until you've got a solid round shaped dough.
Spread some flour over an oven tray and place the dough on top.
Cut a cross on top of the dough, about 1 cm deep.
Put it in into the oven for 25-30 min.

Great to serve with a tasty soup, perhaps this sweet potato and lentil one, or just for breakfast.


No comments:

Post a Comment